2. The fall Jewish holidays, man. I can't catch my breath. We went to my parents for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur -- coming home in between -- and then we're off to my in-laws for the first days of Succot, also known as "that holiday with the outdoor booths" later this week. Then we come back home (huzzah!) for Simchat Torah, also known as "that holiday with all the drinking." We are a festive people when we're not fasting.
3. My birthday is coming up on Sunday, and I turn 30. I love the idea of being 30. I cannot remember the last time I was this excited for a birthday, crow's feet be damned. (Maybe the year I turned 10? When I was all, "double digits, man. I am so sophistica--You WILL be mine this year, American-Girls-doll-named-Samantha"? I think then.)
4. I'm developing the world's largest ladycrush on Emma Stone. After going to see The Town (I KNOW, I'm a glutton for freak-ass scary nun-robber-related punishment) and finding it sold out, we opted instead for Easy A, as it possessed the key quality of "playing at the same time, and not being Devil." She's adorable! That raspy voice! That pretty auburn hair! She is my new Lindsay Lohan (who I used to adore to pieces). (Sorry, Emily; at long last, I've finally given up on our girl.) Call me, Emma! I want to talk about your hair and also eat some pie! You seem fun! And/or as if you'd like to eat some pie!
5. Against my better judgment, I started rereading The Passage (relatedly: Am in a reading funk. What to read next? Help!) and consequently, I have spent more time than I care to admit lately thinking about how I'd handle a zombie apocalypse. Not Helping At All: The Walking Dead previews on AMC during Mad Men. I don't want to give away all of my strategies, but my multi-part plan involves both hiding in my file cabinet and subsequently ACTING like a zombie despite still retaining my human form. I know. I don't know why I haven't been given an MacArthur Fellowship award, either. It's all politics, I'm sure.
6. Getting me through this stressful time is Diabeetus Cat. Oh, Diabeetus Cat, how you make me laugh!
7. I honestly just had to google whether or not Wilford Brimley is still alive. (He is! Good for you, old boy.) I have trouble remembering with that guy.
8. See also: Carol Channing, Brian Dennehy, George Hamilton. AND I KNOW THERE ARE MORE. I just can't even REMEMBER the people whose, er, life status I CANNOT REMEMBER.