Every year, Sundry does this great year-end wrap-up post, and invites everyone to play along. And so I shall!
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Bought a house, got a job I'd been dying to get, and saw a nude man doing jumping jacks down Wall Street.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I'm not really much for resolutions; I don't think I'm ABOVE them, or anything, it's just not my thing. My overall philosophy is "Be positive, work hard, be a good mom, wife and friend, and generally don't be an asshole." I'm sure there's room for improvement in all areas, but that's pretty much what I guide my life by, and I think I did okay this past year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My cousin, and a bunch of friends.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
NO JINX NO JINX LA LA LA LA LA
5. What countries did you visit?
None, but I did get to visit LA (albeit briefly) and Seattle (ditto), two places I've never been before.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
I can't think of a thing. Wait, perhaps finally getting our act together in the new place, and getting window treatments that do not consist entirely of old fancy shower curtains. (OH YOU THINK I AM JOKING.)
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The day we moved, the day I got the job, and the day I realized my son could really and truly read.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Going for (and getting) the aforementioned job.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not keeping in touch with friends enough.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Well, aside from my brush with Vitamin D deficiency, J would tell you that no, I have not. But he apparently doesn't understand how FREQUENT TOE STUBBINGS can be exceedingly painful, and how I basically need a telethon in my honor and NO I WILL NOT JUST WEAR SLIPPERS COME ON
11. What was the best thing you bought?
House. Purple suede heels. Perfect trenchcoat. Kindle Fire. (The last one was a gift from J, but let's just include it here.) Nars Flamenco, the perfect red lipstick, at last. (Thanks again from the recommendation, Sarah.)
12. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage, school/camp, and J.Crew.
13. What did you get really excited about?
Making the new house into our home, so Luther Vandross would stop singing that song on my front lawn, all guilty-making, at least in my head. Some great concerts. The laundry chute IN said house.
14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
"All At Once" by The Airborne Toxic Event. Apparently they've been around forever? But I only heard them for the first time this year? And fell hopelessly in love? And listened to this song (and the rest of their catalog) approximately 8,734 times? And also it's the best?
Also, "We Are Young" by Fun. I only heard it for the first time about a week or so ago, and so it's a late entry in this category, but I defy you not to listen to it on repeat.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Happier; I felt like a lot was up in the air, where-we-gonna-live-wise, and it was stressing me out. I feel settled, and it's a relief.
– thinner or fatter? The same, I think.
– richer or poorer? Richer, though I'm not buying a top hat and monocle anytime soon.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Spent more time with friends, read more (hola, Kindle Fire), written more here, and worked out some semblance of an actual fitness routine.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
18. How did you spend Christmas?
We celebrate Chanukah, and spent it with our extended families, and of course, our own little family.
A highlight was telling the kids this:
19. What was your favorite TV program?
Friday Night Lights. The League. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
The Dovekeepers. Cutting for Stone. THE IMPERFECTIONISTS OMG LOVE. Blueprints for Building Better Girls. Little Bee.
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
The Airborne Toxic Event, FO SHO.
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
Another Earth, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Bridesmaids, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
It was low-key, and at home, and my husband gave me this.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I loved this year, honestly--so many huge changes, for the good.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Business casual meets Audrey Hepburn and also Serena van der Woodsen.
26. What kept you sane?
Friends, near and far, my husband and kids, and good music.
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
The people who are tough (yet fair) with you are the people who teach you more.
llow things, and not to be afraid to apologize.
That I have no idea what I'm doing as a parent, but my kids know they're cherished, we have fun, and so I'm okay with this.
To not be afraid to just ask the question. The worst that can happen is that I'll hear "no."
Happy New Year!